Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's not brain surgery

I have spent my entire adult life working towards the goal of becoming a brain surgeon.  Now with 4 more years to go, I find myself with a little break.  I haven't had a break from the constant struggle towards my goal in over 10 years so I had to make it a Ferris Beuhler's break and take this time to do all the things I haven't gotten to do because I was always so busy in the hospital.  One of them is to learn how to bake - I mean really learn how to do it right.  I have always wanted to know how to make the perfect pie and the most delicious cookies and cakes, but to be honest, I never really knew where to start.  I had never made a pie - ever, not even from an already made crust.  And the only cakes I ever made were cupcakes from a box.  So I decided it was now or never.  I enrolled in Le Cordon Bleu's Weekend Pastry and Baking Program and started baking - even pie!  What was amazing was the similarities baking has to surgery.  You have to prepare ahead of time what you will be making and know your recipe and how you're going to perform the different steps, just as you would a surgery.  You're hair must be up and covered.  Your nails must be short and clean.  The only difference is in surgery it's a little easier going in that you can wear earings - which are absolutely forbidden in the baker's kitchen for fear some pearl stud may wind up in someone's chocolate eclair.
So, earringless and with my hair in a bun (pardon the pun), I embark on my journey to learn how to make delicious pastries and baked goods.  I invite you to come along with me on my journey and perhaps share with me some of your own experiences.  Together we can help each other learn how to make the perfect pie crust, the most mouth-watering French macaroon, and the most delectable desserts - previously only experienced at too expensive for me to afford on a resident's salary-restaurants, now being served in our own kitchens!

No comments:

Post a Comment