Monday, September 12, 2011

The dog ate my homework

  Since I had missed class on Friday I was a bit behind so on Saturday I had to make 3 cakes - freeze two and decorate one.  I had just enough time to make my swiss buttercream with meyer lemon and champagne extract, but was unable to decorate the cake in class.  Chef agreed that I could take it home and decorate it there.  So last night I finally had the energy to decorate the cake - I got out all my supplies.  I put the cake on my Wilton turntable and carefully scored the side of the cake with my serrated knife, keeping the knife steady and slowly turning the turntable.  I then continued the cut all the way through, creating two nearly symmetric layers.  I brushed each layer with simple syrup.  Then I decided to put raspberry jam on the bottom layer, so I put the top layer in the box and continued to work on the bottom layer.  Chef told us if we were to put jam or lemon curd on, we should first pipe a barrier of buttercream on the outside edge to keep the jam from oozing out.  But I had left my pastry bags in the other room.  I went to get them and came back 20 seconds later but it was too late.  Bella, my very naughty German Shephard was halfway done with the bottom layer.  I looked blankly at the remaining layer sitting in the box and thought about how I could salvage the situation.  Then I remembered my round cookie/cake cutters - I cut two small rounds out of the remaining layer.  I then completed the decor, in the little cake you see above. 
The dog slept well after her indulgence.
I learned to never trust a naughty German Shephard alone with a chiffon cake.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I don't have to worry about that, Cairo, my Black Lab does not ever eat food off of the counter.......just the cat tries.

    ReplyDelete